Are you a woman who sees the bigger picture?
Do you embrace change and enjoy working in a collaborative environment?
Do you want to play bigger in the Family of Women and in your life?
Are there skills and experience that you want to use in a bigger way in the Family of Women?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, please consider running for the Board yourself or encouraging another qualified woman to run!
Women on the Board have an opportunity to support the Family of Women in a different way than other positions. We ask the question “What needs to happen to further our mission?” The Board brings this question to many areas including growth, social media, finance, content, events, etc. While there is “doing” to be done, we always endeavor to hold and communicate the vision of where the Family of Women is going, so we are united as an organization.
We are seeking two or more women to join the Board this July. Board of Director terms are two years with the next term beginning July 1, 2023. Members of the Board of Directors represent all members of the Family of Women.
The nomination timeline and list of Board of Director qualifications are below.
There are two paths to have your name placed on the ballot for the Board of Directors, either by requesting an interview with the Nominating Committee or filing a petition signed by fellow members of the Family of Women.
Every candidate will fill out a Candidate statement which will be available for members to review before the election, and all candidates will participate in a Town Hall Meeting where FOW members have an opportunity to ask them questions.
- Candidates who choose the Nominating Committee path will submit their Candidate Statement to the Committee and be interviewed about their experience and their reasons for wanting to be on the Board with the members of the Committee. This interview is a valuable opportunity for growth and insight, giving a woman an opportunity to assess where she is in her life and in her journey as a leader with women who are committed to her development.
- Candidates who choose the Petition path will request endorsements for their candidacy from other members of the FOW.
Skill Sets / Experience:
The following skill sets and experience would be valuable on the Board. These may change from time to time, based on the priorities and focus of the Board. A candidate for the Board ideally should have a combination of some of these skills or experiences:
♥ Website and Social Media
♥ Generating Revenue
♥ Training Background
♥ Prior Board Experience
♥ Non-Profit/Not-For-Profit Board Experience
♥ Communication/Outreach Skills (connecting with other organizations, etc.)
♥ Leadership Development
♥ Familiarity with 501(c)(3) laws and regulations
As a member of the Board, you will have a variety of responsibilities. The Board is responsible for guiding the growth and direction of the organization, and the COO (Chief Operations Officer) and the Operations Teams are responsible for putting the Family of Women’s plans and programs into effect. Your role on the Board may vary from time to time based on the current priorities and the make-up of the Board itself.
For example, you may be called upon to:
➢ Serve as Chair or Vice-Chair
➢ Serve as Secretary or Treasurer
➢ Participate in fundraising efforts for the Family of Women
➢ Manage a special project
- Be a Member in good standing and maintain that good standing throughout your term of office
- Have participated in cycle meetings for a minimum of two cycles within the past 18 months (which includes the current cycle)
- Must participate in cycle meetings for the duration of your term
- Have completed Leadership Training
- May not hold any other leadership position during your term
- Have regular access to a computer and internet
- Strongly recommended – Member has successfully completed at least one other leadership position
If you are interested in running for the Board of Directors, email the Nominating Committee at NominatingCommittee@familyofwomen.org. They will email you a Candidate Booklet, Timeline, Candidate Statement and Petition so you can choose which path you want to take to apply to run for the Board.
2023 Board Elections Timeline
April 3, 2023 (Monday)
Notice to members of Board elections
April 24, 2023 (Monday)
Deadline for endorsement candidates to submit Candidate Statement to the Nominating Committee
April 25 – May 11
Endorsement Interviews take place; Nominating Committee advises candidates whether or not they received endorsement
May 12, 2023 (Friday)
Deadline for petition candidates to submit Petition and Candidate Statement to the Board for inclusion on the ballot. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight Pacific time.
May 16, 2023 (Tuesday)
Announcement to the membership of all of the Candidate names, together with the Candidate Statements, and the date/time of the Town Hall Call
May 22, 2023 (the week of)
Town Hall call for Candidates
May 31, 2023 (Wednesday)
Balloting for Board Membership begins
June 9, 2023 (Friday)
Balloting for Board Membership concludes
June 13, 2023 (Tuesday)
Announcement to the membership of new Board Members